Practical info

You want to be well prepared before you start your degree in communication. Find out about housing, visas and permits, insurances and public transport. Also learn out about the HAN’s on: International Welcome Days at the Arnhem campus.

Before you arrive

Before you arrive in the Netherlands, you need to arrange some practical matters. You need to organize your accommodation, for example. And, depending on your nationality, you might need to arrange a visa.  

Visa info

To study in the Netherlands, you need the right visas and permits. Are you from the EU/EEA? Then you don’t need any visas or permits. You just need to register at city hall. Are you from a country outside the EU/EEA? Then you need a residence permit. You might also need an entry visa.


When you study Communication at HAN, you need a suitable place to live. A place within easy distance of the campus. A place you can call home. The HAN Housing Office helps international students like you find a room. Are you from outside the EU/EEA? You get priority: a guaranteed room. From the EU/EEA? You can go on the waiting list.  

“I got clear instructions about my room through email when I was still in my home country. All steps from reservation to payment can be done online. I’m now living in Helix. It’s very new and only a 10-minute walk to school. An ideal place for 1st-year students.”

Vi Thi Thao Pham, 1st year student from Vietnam

Once you arrive in the Netherlands

Once you arrive in the Netherlands, you need to know about some other practical issues. For example, about working, insurance, public transport and the government.

  • Insurance

    When coming to the Netherlands to study, you need to have good insurance. Health insurance is the most important. Are you from the EU/EEA? Your health insurance policy in your home country might cover you. Non-EU/EEA students receive health insurance through the financial guarantee. Other useful insurances are liability insurance, repatriation insurance and household contents insurance.
  • Working

    The rules on working depend on your nationality. Are you from the EU/EEA? Then you are free to work in the Netherlands. Are you from outside the EU/EEA? Then you are free to do self-employed work. If you work for an employer, you need a work permit and the hours are restricted. All international students working in the Netherlands must have Dutch public health insurance.
  • Public transport

    The Netherlands has excellent public transport. In the Nijmegen and Arnhem area you can get almost everywhere by train or bus. In the bigger cities, you can also use the tram or metro. To pay for these services you use an OV chip card (OV-chipkaart in Dutch).
  • Government

    When living in the Netherlands, you need a citizen service number (BSN). This number is important for all your dealings with the government. For example, to open a bank account or to visit a doctor. You get a BSN number after registering at city hall.

The location

  • Ruitenberglaan 31 Arnhem
  • HAN Arnhem campus

    Ruitenberglaan 31
    6826 CC Arnhem
  • Ruitenberglaan 31 Arnhem

Start of 2020-2021 academic yearCampus is open

Since the corona outbreak, universities all over the world have switched to distance learning. A great alternative, but not ideal when you're just starting your degree. That's why the Communication program is offering 50% of regular contact hours on campus for 1st-year students starting in September this year. You'll come to campus 2 days a week for 6 hours. Time to get to know your classmates and lecturers in person. Become familiar with the campus. And develop some group spirit within your class and program. Alongside the on-campus hours you'll have online classes and self-study at home.

Koffiehoek Laan van Scheut 10 Nijmegen

Discover HAN

The HAN campuses have all the facilities you need: modern lecture halls, study and multimedia centers, sports facilities, canteens and cafes. Also important: a reliable wireless network (Eduroam). And you can easily reach the campuses by train, bus or bike.

Koffiehoek Laan van Scheut 10 Nijmegen


Curious to know even more about Communication? Get the inside view at the Online Open Day on 14 November. Due to the corona crisis, we are forced to keep our Open Days online for the time being. You can also sign up for the newsletter. We'll keep you posted on application deadlines, housing availability, visas. And much more.

toekomstlokaal, FEM Communicatie

Student services

  • International office

    As an international student, there are lots of practical matters you need to arrange. International Office knows about all these issues and can lend you a helping hand. Going abroad for a semester as part of your program? International Office can answer all your questions about this as well. 
  • Studying with a disability

    Do you have a functional disability or chronic illness? Need extra facilities to support you in your studies? HAN offers several services to ensure your study environment fits your needs. For example, extra time on exams. Or alternatives to certain parts of the study program.  
  • Study coaching

    When you start studying at HAN you'll be assigned a study coach. The study coach guides you during your studies. They lend a listening ear. Or advise you if you fall behind with your studies. And if you need more specialized help, they refer you to the right person. 
  • Psychological support

    Students sometimes have problems they can’t solve themselves. Problems that affect their studies in a negative way. In such cases, extra psychological support is very welcome. As a HAN student, you can join a course or get private consultations to help you get back on track.  

Contact us

Contact us at the HAN Information Center.
We're happy to help with all your questions!

Opening hours

Monday to Friday: 9:00 - 16:30

During school holidays: 9:00 - 14:00

Prefer calling?

Telephone number: +31 24 - 353 05 00

Ready to start?

Apply now

docent klas studenten klaslokaal lessituatie, FEM commerciele economie, accountancy