Decided to enroll in a bachelor or master degree at HAN? Are you from a country outside the EU/EEA? Then you may qualify for a HAN scholarship. These are offered in collaboration with the Dutch Ministry of Education, Culture and Science.
Have you made outstanding achievements in your education and personal development? And are you a national of a country outside the EU/EEA? Then you’re a good candidate for one of the HAN scholarships below. Don't meet these requirements? Then you might want to search for scholarships elsewhere. For example, with scholarship organizations in your own country or on the Study in Holland website.
Ministry of Education, Culture and Science
Netherlands Association of Universities of Applied Sciences
The Dutch organisation for internationalisation in education
Association of universities, the Netherlands
What are the HAN scholarships?
Scholarship Max. amount For whom? Orange Tulip € 12,500 Students from Brazil, China, Indonesia, Russia, India, South Korea, Mexico or Vietnam HAN Holland € 12,500 Students from another non-EU/EEA country Honors € 7,500 Non-EU/EEA students who didn’t get a scholarship in the 1st year
Orange Tulip Scholarship and HAN Holland Scholarship
These scholarships start with € 5,000 in the 1st year of study. After that you can receive € 2,500 per year. To get this you need to earn the required 45 credits each year.
The Honors Scholarship is different. You don’t need to apply for it. The academic board of the study program selects students with outstanding academic results in their 1st year.
Who is eligible? Students who meet the minimum requirements but do not have a HAN Holland or Orange Tulip scholarship.
The payment starts with € 2,500 in the 2nd year. After that you can receive € 2,500 each following year of study. To get this you need to earn the required 45 credits each year.
Scholarship Max. amount For whom? Orange Tulip € 5,000 Students from Brazil, China, Indonesia, Russia, India, South Korea, Mexico or Vietnam HAN Holland € 5,000 Students from another non-EU/EEA country
Both these scholarships start with € 2,500 in the 1st year of study and € 2,500 at the start of your 2nd year of study.
What are the requirements?
- You are a national of a country outside the EU/EEA
- You have not previously been enrolled in a degree at a university or university of applied sciences in the Netherlands
- You have been accepted into a full-time English-taught degree program
- You have an IELTS score of at least 6.5, a TOEFL iBT score of at least 90 or a Cambridge Certificate (CAE or CPE)
How are the scholarships paid?
Your scholarship is paid in 2 terms: in March and September. Are you starting your degree in February? Your scholarship is paid in February each year. Keep in mind that tuition fees are due in the fall semester. You can only receive the payment if:
- you’re enrolled as a HAN student
- you have a Dutch bank account in your name
What about dual nationality?
Are you a dual national? Spanish and Venezuelan, for example. So EU/EEA and non-EU/EEA? Your EU/EEA nationality will be used as your 1st nationality. This means you can’t apply for a HAN scholarship. But it does qualify you to pay the EU/EEA tuition fee. This is much lower than the non-EU/EEA fee combined with a HAN scholarship.
Can you combine scholarships?
You cannot combine HAN scholarships. But you can combine a HAN scholarship with a scholarship from another organization.
Apply in 5 steps
Complete your enrollment in a bachelor or master degree before the dates below. Do you meet the minimum requirements? Then you’ll receive an email inviting you to apply for a scholarship. You can expect this to arrive on one of the dates below. Please note that all degrees start in September and only some are also offered in February.
Starting degree in September Starting degree in February 1 April 1 October
- The next step is preparing the following 3 items:
- A motivation letter. Here you explain why you’ll be a successful HAN student
- A short video of yourself. Max. 3 minutes. Address the following:
- Describe yourself and the things you excel in
- What would your former teachers or your friends tell us about you?
- Tell us about your chosen course of study at HAN
- Imagine you’re working in a team. Based on your personality and/or experience, what role would you have and why?
- What are your career ambitions? What and where do you think you’ll be 10 years from now (professionally speaking)?
- Your Curriculum Vitae (CV)
Follow the link in the email invitation. Fill out the application. Submit it digitally with the 3 items you prepared in step 2. Submit before:
Starting in September Starting in February 1 May, 12 pm CST 19 October, 12 pm CST
You’ll receive an email with notification of the award on:
Starting in September Starting in February 20 May 3 November
Send written acceptance of the scholarship. When? By the date stated in your award notification letter.
Contact us at the HAN Information Center.
We're happy to help with all your questions!