As a HAN student, you have access to a range of support and services. Like special provisions if you have a disability. A study coach to discuss your academic progress. Or a training course in personal development. Our aim is to help you get the most out of your studies.
Student services and support What kind of support can I expect?
HAN can support you with all kinds of questions and issues.
- International Office
An important point of contact for international students is the HAN International Office. They can help you with all kinds of practical matters related to living and studying in the Netherlands. And with arrangements for studying abroad.
- Studying with special circumstances
Services for students with a disability or other special circumstances. Find out more below.
- Coaching and counselling
The following people can help you: study coach, senior coach, student counsellor or psychologist. Read more below.
- HAN Study Success - Training and Coaching
Courses and workshops to help you with your study skills and personal development. More info below.
Studying with special circumstances
Do you have special circumstances that affect your ability to study? For example, a disability, chronic illness, or involvement in elite sport? Need extra facilities to support you in your studies?
HAN offers several services to ensure your study environment fits your needs. For example:
- Modifications to the accessibility of buildings
- Study aids
- Exam provisions
- Potential alternatives to curriculum components
- Timetable adjustments
- Adapted attendance requirements
- Possible financial aid for study delays
Please note: students with a physical disability who require (daily) personal care must arrange this support themselves.
Coaching and counselling
When you start studying at HAN you will be assigned a study coach. That’s a lecturer working within your degree program. The study coach guides you during your studies and is your first point of contact when you have a question or problem. They lend a listening ear, for example. Or advise you if you fall behind with your studies. And if you need more specialized help, they can refer you to the right person. Like the senior tutor or the student counsellor.
Concerned you might get binding advice to leave the program because of personal problems? You can discuss this with the senior coach. The senior coach will look at whether it might help to cut back on your course load. And lend a listening ear and offer valuable suggestions. In some cases, the senior tutor refers you to the student counsellor. The senior coach can also answer questions about special exam and lecture provisions and about combining elite sports with your studies.
The student counsellors provide a second-line facility for students in need of extra counselling. They also support study coaches and senior tutors and offer advice (on request or otherwise) to the degree programs, institutes and faculties. HAN University of Applied Sciences employs 5 student counsellors who can help students with specific issues, such as:
- Due to illness or exceptional circumstances you are behind with your studies and having financial problems.
- You have an acute financial problem which affects your studies.
- You are disabled or impaired and need certain facilities to enable you to study.
- You would like to combine elite sport and your studies.
- You are having personal problems which affect your studies.
- You have questions about complaints or legal procedures.
How do I make an appointment?
Send an email to email@example.com.
- Explain the situation and also include:
- your name
- your student number
- your degree program and study location (Arnhem or Nijmegen)
- your mobile phone number
Where can I find the student counsellors?
|Nijmegen||Bisschop Hamerhuis||2.01B, 2.11 & 2.12A|
The consultations and courses by the student psychologists are for students enrolled at HAN. You can come to us with concerns and problems you're not able to solve yourself. Problems that are influencing your studies or threatening to delay your studies. Such concerns or problems could be:
- Study stress and fear or failure
- Procrastination and motivation problems
- Loss and mourning
- Excessive worrying and general feeling of discontent
- Gloominess, dread, not being able to deal with things anymore
- Loneliness and/or problematic social life
- Feelings of anxiety
- Trouble coping with major events
- Problem with eating too much or too little
- Negative self-image; lack of self confidence
- Problems with drugs, gaming, social media and internet
- Problems with parents or relationships
Do you have any of the above concerns or problems? You can contact us or register for an intake.
Study skills and personal development: HAN Study Success - Training and Coaching
HAN Study Success - Training and Coaching provides training, workshops and coaching for all students at HAN. Our courses focus on the development of skills, both within and beyond your field of study. Like knowledge of a foreign language. Building up your social network. These skills contribute to both academic success and personal well-being. Take responsibility for your own development and sign up for a course today!
What training and coaching opportunities do we offer?
Once you have a HAN-account, you can get an overview of all the courses at the HAN Study success - Training and coaching learning portal.
Do you have a general question about HAN Study Success - Training and Coaching? Or our courses? Or do you have a question about a particular course, workshop or other educational activity? Please feel free to contact us.
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.